Friday, August 20, 2010

Obituary

I just found out that a friend? of mine passed away. He wasn't so much a friend as an acquaintance who I held in high regard. That sounds so uncaring though, doesn't it? He was pretty great. I interviewed with him in the beginning of 2009 for Mini Cities, Inc., a company which I only worked at for a small amount of time, but loved. We hit it off and I really enjoyed his company. He was a chef and was very focused on the local community and had a slight geek side of him that I could relate to. His wife was/is great and he has/had a daughter named Alexandra the same age as Alex. When I met him, he was battling brain cancer. I missed him a great deal after parting ways with Mini Cities. It makes me sad to know that he lost his battle. I can only pray that he is in a beautiful place full of happiness and love.

I've been thinking of obituaries a lot lately so this recent news pressed on my brain about this particular subject. What a profound thing an obituary is...think about it. It sums up a person's life in a paragraph. It consolidates what an individual is known for, remembered for and what they are survived by. That is a pretty powerful set of sentences. I can't help but wonder what my obituary would read? I can't help but wonder if there is anything in my life worth noting, worth mentioning in a paragraph that would forever define my life. And who is this obligation assigned to? A stranger? A loved one...is it designated to a person that the deceased loved and trusted like that of a will? Or is it just handed haphazardly off to an every day Joe who works at that particular newspaper, etc. Do people put their love and passion for the deceased into each and every word that will be written? What will my obituary read? What is significant in my life...and am I focusing on bettering those things which are most important or muddling in unimportant factors of an everyday life? What about you? Are you being significant? Are you making the items that YOU would write about in a person's obituary, the categories that you yourself find most important in life worthy enough to be written about yourself on paper.....
Obituary...pretty powerful paragraph....

No comments:

Post a Comment